Establishing home care services for your aging loved ones is an amazing way to give yourself peace of mind knowing that there daily needs will be addressed safely and effectively even if you are not able to be there for them at all times. Taking the pressure off of yourself in terms of being the sole caregiver for aging adults allows you to focus on yourself so that you can also enjoy a high quality of life while still feeling confident about the health and well-being of your loved ones.
It is important when you’re considering home care services that before you ever meet with an in home care provider you are clear about your expectations for the arrangement, and for the particular provider that will be caring for your loved ones.
Being clear as to what you expect from in home health care services allows you to get a good idea as to whether this type of senior care is truly the most appropriate option for your loved one, and also will guide you to choosing the in home care provider that will be the most beneficial match with your loved ones. Remember, this care provider will be spending a considerable amount of time with your loved ones, and it is crucial that their personalities mesh well and they are comfortable with each other so that the care can be provided with dignity and respect.
When you are first considering home care services for your aging parents, sit down and make a list of everything that you expect from the services, and from the individual provider. This list is just for you, so make sure that you include absolutely everything that you would like to achieve with home care services. After you have completed this list, go over it several times and evaluate whether you feel each of these requirements is truly appropriate. Eliminate any of the items that are excessive until you have a core list of requirements that you simply will not compromise on. It is this list that you will used to choose the home care services agency and in home care provider right for your loved ones.
To help guide your list, here are some appropriate expectations for home care services:
- The in home care provider should have undergone specific training regarding providing care for a senior, including CPR
- Home care services should include activities of daily living such as grooming, bathing, feeding and mobility issues, as well as assistance with other concerns such as light meal preparation, light housekeeping and transportation
- The in home care provider should have her own, reliable source of transportation so that she is able to get to work each day that she is on duty
- You should expect that the care provider is able to perform her duties on a regular basis, and be available for the entirety of each of her shifts each day that she is scheduled
- Your loved ones should not be in the same place all day, and should be encouraged to participate in any form of physical activity that they enjoy and of which they are physically capable
- And in home care provider should have a true passion for providing compassionate and dedicated care to each senior.
Care Connection provides home care in Lansing, MI. For more information about our caregiver services, please call us today at (517) 489-2489.